Outdated Dresser Madeover
by Ann-Marie Wiley
My sister wanted me do re-do a dresser for her son's bedroom at their new house. Her only wishes were that it had lots of room and she could hang a mirror above it. I was able to get a great deal on just the right one from craigslist.
I used Bear paint with added primer, Miniwax stain in ebony, and poly acrylic finishing coat.
First I sanded the entire piece and cleaned it thoroughly. Then I painted two coats of paint on the bottom part of the dresser. Then I distressed it focusing on areas that would naturally get the most wear. Next I stained the entire piece. After several hours of drying time I applied the poly acrylic finishing coat. I used one coat over the entire piece and three coats over the top since it would get the most wear.
When you use a stain as a glaze it will feel tacky but the poly acrylic seals it and gives it a smooth finish.
I think it turned out well and my sister and nephew really like the end result!